Saturday, May 19, 2007

Filling The Void

No, you probably don't know me. Reading this blog probably won't help.

This is a place for me to start writing again, in front of a small audience. I have been making fitful attempt at writing a comic book epic for years, undeterred by the fact that I can't draw and nobody likes superheroes, especially without the pretty pictures.

Reactions thus far have ranged from "I liked it, you have great ideas (but I didn't really read it, so I can't give you any feedback)" to "I hated it and though it was cliched (and I didn't even have to read it to know)" to the most honest null answer, "I don't read things like this."

Actually, the very best reaction was when I sent my draft scripts to a science fiction fan who worked as an editor. I got them back covered with red ink, with comments like "The Order of the Solar Temple were a real organization, using this tragedy in this way is exploitative and in extremely bad taste!" and "Why did she shoot J.F.K.!?! He was a hero to my generation!"

I wish I'd kept those pages dripping with red ink and outrage, but I had to throw it away when I got married, along with a complete run of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol.

I'll start posting bits and pieces about my story as time permits. Perhaps it will be the next vanity press bestseller...

No comments: